Aretha Franklin is retiring this year. This list reminds us of what we will be missing.
- Respect – her greatest anthem.
- I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You) – a great soul performance
- Think – another empowering feminist anthem
- I Say A Little Prayer – better than the Dionne Warwick version
- Do Right Woman, Do Right Man – another great song with a tough, don’t mess with me, message
- (You Make Me Feel) Like a Natural Woman – a more loving Carole King song
- Chain Of Fools – although this is a break up song, Aretha still seems strong
- Dr. Feelgood (Love Is A Serious Business) – proper sexy vocals
- Share Your Love With Me – another Grammy winner
- Baby I Love You – this bizarrely appears in Goodfellas’
Get the Greatest Hits
The novelist, playwright and rock journalist died on 4 February 2017. Here’s his best stuff:
- We Got The Neutron Bomb: The Untold Story of L.A. Punk – the definitive book on this subject. Buy Now.
- Nobody Likes You: Inside the Turbulent Life, Times and Music of Green Day – a really good biography. Buy Now.
- How Soon is Never? – his best novel about trying to get the Smiths to reform. Buy Now.
- Bowie: A Biography – not the best on the subject. Buy Now
- Poseur: A Memoir of Downtown New York City in the ’90s. An autobiography with lots of drugs. Buy Now
- Too Much, Too Late. Another novel, not as good as How Soon is Never? Buy Now
- Retail Sluts. His first and best play. Buy Now.
- Twee: The Gentle Revolution in Music, Books, Television, Fashion and Film. His most recent book. Buy Now
- Jagger: Rebel Rock Star, Rambler, Rogue. Not his best biography. Buy Now
- Shyness is Nice. Check out this play, a bit wierd, but I liked it. Buy Now
Check out his interview with Marc Maron
In memory of the late Joost van der Westhuizen, here’s the list of the best number 9’s.
- Gareth Edwards – without doubt the best scrum half ever and possibly the greatest player of all time. The man had everything.
- Joost van der Westhuizen – So brave. A ninth forward. Remember him taking down Jonah Lomu in the 1995 World Cup Final?
- George Gregan – a mouthy, abrasive character who had the ability to back up his talk.
- Nick Farr-Jones – a great leader and tactician.
- Justin Marshall – a physical player at the base of the scrum and a good reader of the game.
- Agustin Pinochet – an under-rated player who had excellent skills.
- Matt Dawson – The king of the sniping run.
- Rob Howley – an excellent player behind a poor pack.
- David Kirk – a feature of his game was his quick service to the backs. Another great captain.
- Gary Armstrong – a key member of the 1990 Scotland Grand Slam winning team. A tough competitor.
Here’s some Joost highlights
To celebrate the start of the Six Nations, here’s the tournament’s greatest try scorers.
- Brian O’Driscoll (Ireland) – 26
- Ian Smith (Scotland) – 24
- Shane Williams (Wales) – 22
- Gareth Edwards (Wales) – 18
- CN Lowe (England) – 18
- Rory Underwood (England) – 18
- Ben Cohen (England) – 16
- Gerald Davies (Wales) – 16
- Kenny Jones (Wales) – 16
- Bill Llewellyn (Wales) – 16
Here’s some of BOD’s best tries
I reckon that Lady Gaga will be in this top 10 come Sunday.
How to you make Lady Gaga angry?
- Prince 2007 – Purple Rain in the rain
- U2 2002 – Great 9/11 tribute
- Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band 2009- Knee slide – ouch!
- Madonna 2012 – Like a Prayer
- Beyonce 2013 – Return of Destiny’s Child
- The Rolling Stones 2005 – Great Stage
- Katy Perry 2015 – Left Shark dancing
- Janet Jackson 2004 – The Malfunction
- Paul McCartney 2005 – Live and Let Die
- Aerosmith 2001 – Walk This Way
Big day for Beyonce. Goes swimming in her underwear, gets caught in a fishing net and stumbles into a florist to get her photo taken. This list shows that she’s not alone in the celebrity multiple birth game.
- Mariah Carey gave birth to Monroe and Moroccan Scott in 2011
- Celine Dion gave birth to Eddy and Nelson in 2010
- Jennifer Lopez gave birth to Max and Emme in 2008
- Sarah Jessica Parker gave birth to Marion Loretta Elwell and Tabitha Hodge in 2002
- Julia Roberts gave birth to Phinnaeus Walter and Hazel Patricia in 2004
- Laura Bush gave birth to Barbara and Jenna in 1981
- Angelina Jolie gave birth to Vivienne Marcheline and Knox Leon in 2008
- Lisa Marie Presley gave birth to Finley and Harper in 2008
- Diana Krall gave birth to Dexter Henry Lorcan and Frank Harlem James in 2006
- Jane Seymour gave birth to Johnny and Kris in 1995.