In memory of the late Joost van der Westhuizen, here’s the list of the best number 9’s.
- Gareth Edwards – without doubt the best scrum half ever and possibly the greatest player of all time. The man had everything.
- Joost van der Westhuizen – So brave. A ninth forward. Remember him taking down Jonah Lomu in the 1995 World Cup Final?
- George Gregan – a mouthy, abrasive character who had the ability to back up his talk.
- Nick Farr-Jones – a great leader and tactician.
- Justin Marshall – a physical player at the base of the scrum and a good reader of the game.
- Agustin Pinochet – an under-rated player who had excellent skills.
- Matt Dawson – The king of the sniping run.
- Rob Howley – an excellent player behind a poor pack.
- David Kirk – a feature of his game was his quick service to the backs. Another great captain.
- Gary Armstrong – a key member of the 1990 Scotland Grand Slam winning team. A tough competitor.
Here’s some Joost highlights